Since this thread started, MailChimp has started providing automation as part
of their free plan.

FWIW we’ve therefore now moved back off ConvertKit and into MailChimp - and are
using https://privy.com/ to do some really nice modal / intention based popups.

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency
http://thirty8.co.uk

** NEW: http://wpformuseums.com for people using WordPress in museums **
** Workshops, courses and free downloads: http://trainingdigital.co.uk **