On Oct 2, 2011, at 4:49 PM, ext micu wrote:

> Hi Jukka and Adrian,
>
> Am Sonntag, 2. Oktober 2011, 12:40:12 schrieb jukka.ekl...@nokia.com:
>
>> Maybe I am missing the thread... but the N9 has NOT a proprietary UI.
>> Except some specific parts of theming, the framework is libre
>> software:
>>
>> https://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouch/libmeegotouch
>
> wow this is really good news (at least to me it's news). Good to hear,
> thanks for the update!

Some clarifications, application UX, libmeegotouch and qt quick components are
free as are all parts
in MeeGo N900 CE. The swipe stuff is done outside of application in custom
version of Mcompositor.
As all great ideas Swipe UI is simple, basically it uses swipe gesture to
switch home screen compared
hardware button as Apple uses or on screen softkey as most of Android devices
or meeGo hadset uses.
In N9 there is two main things that are not FOSS, this small piece of code that
handles swipe gesture and Nokia
graphics and icons. When N9 UX best on market, MeeGo N900 CE version has UX
that is comparable with Android or iOS
For application developers there is no difference.

> So, why the heck doesn't stupid Samsung wanna use it, but go for HTML5
> (which might be the future, but not now imo)!?

I think that it was more politics, Samsung did not want be depending components
made by
their competing handset Manufacturer, They had already this issue with
Google/Motorola.

Even there will be more HTML5 apps in future, there is nothing that prevents
having them in
MeeGo parallel with Qt apps. MeeGo has just many advantages, one is that it has
mobile UX ready.
We have big Qt developer community and more and more mobile Qt apps. Tizen need
to start once again from zero.
HTML5 apps wont't be replacing native apps least in near future or may be never.

Kate