To my knowledge, the effect on performance of burn-in has not really
been widely discussed or explored; at least not on any of the main
overclocking forums which I am aware of.

Which is partly why I raised the question.

Some things are known to happen; and I have observed them myself. First,
the amount of voltage required to work at a given speed decreases.
Secondly, the odds of the chip working at a higher speed increases.

This much is common knowledge. No one has satisfactorily explained
these results, though many theories abound.

There are also rumors that the higher-quality chip cores, which get put
into the C333A/366/400 and Pentium II's are measureably faster. These
rumors have not been confirmed to my knowledge.

What I was saying was that an improvement in speed was not unexpected;
I.e. it is consistant with the expected improvement in the chip due
to burn-in. These are also my own expectations.

It would be difficult to classify unexplored territory as "common knowledge".
Perhaps it's common knowledge to some; it's just not mentioned in the
more popular websites or forums.

        -dwight-