Hi,

At 12:24 AM 1/13/99 -0800, Leu Enterprises Unlimited wrote:
>On one CPU, after two days worth of burn-in, the time required to
>complete 100 iterations on the stock number went down, as I would expect.
>
>On a second CPU, the time actually *increased*. From 1 day, 18 hours,
>and 55 minutes, to 1d 19h 13m!

I'd be surprised if burning in had an effect on iteration times.
More likely, 100 iterations is not enough to get a truly accurate
timing.

I don't know about Linux, but it has been noted before prime95
iteration times can vary a few percent from day to day.

>If anyone knowledgeable would care to comment about mprime's suitability
>for Q.A.

mprime is great for QA.  It generates heat (by FPU use) and tons of
memory accesses.  If there are any hardware problems there, they are likely
to show up in an extended torture test.

>and/or performance measurements,

I'd guess its as good as but no better than any of hundreds
of publicly available benchmarks.

Best regards,
George