> Some things are known to happen; and I have observed them myself. First,
> the amount of voltage required to work at a given speed decreases.
> Secondly, the odds of the chip working at a higher speed increases.

To me at least, the first part is obvious. As temperature goes up, so does
resistance. The higher resistance requires a greater potential difference
to send an adequeate(sp?) amount of current throught the processor.
Without cooling, I would imagine the chip would eventually melt down. With
cooling, I would imagine the voltage peaks out in some sort of gaussian
curve. Which beings to mind, would the potential difference delta be a
good measure of the quality of your cooling?

(For the non electrical people, I am using voltage and "potential
difference" interchangeably, they are the same thing but potential
difference says it better IMHO)

Which brings to mind a theory about the second part, "speed increase". Too
much heat will damage a processor. However I wonder if there is a
relationship between some sort of particle drift (electron???) and
resistance that "breaks in" or "burns in" a new processor? Much like the
performance on a new engine after it has been carefully broken in after
the first 1,000 miles...

> This much is common knowledge. No one has satisfactorily explained
> these results, though many theories abound.

Case in point...

> There are also rumors that the higher-quality chip cores, which get put
> into the C333A/366/400 and Pentium II's are measureably faster. These
> rumors have not been confirmed to my knowledge.

Tighter packed transistors = less ability to dissipate heat = more
resistance...

> It would be difficult to classify unexplored territory as "common knowledge".
> Perhaps it's common knowledge to some; it's just not mentioned in the
> more popular websites or forums.

Almost everything that I have learned beyond 1st grade was by assuming
that it was common knowledge. "If someone else understands it, I should be
capable of understanding it too!"...

: WWW: http://www.silverlink.net/poke : Boycott Microsot                :
: E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]      : http://www.vcnet.com/bms        :