>I had a double-check on exponent 1745789 "poached" in early September
>by a user called "rick" who appears to have submitted a lot of
>results in this range using systems described as PIIs. My assignment
>was a "legal" PrimeNet assignment running on an old Sun Sparc 2, it
>was about halfway through a 10-week run when it was "poached". The
>PrimeNet entry for this exponent at the time it was poached would
>have shown that it was over 80 days from expiring.
><...>
>Thanks, Rick. Perhaps you would care to get assignments from PrimeNet
>in future, rather than poaching other people's?

Perhaps there should be a warning, not to poach exponent at the top of the
"Test status, assignment report". I feel I am to blame, because it must look
to the poachers like all those small exponent are reassigned to the same
guy. If they look closely at my assignment they will see that 99% of them
had been assigned at ~6:03 PST, that's when Primenet release overdue
exponent back into the available pool.
And with the 90 days rule there is no reason to poach.

What, you are not up at that hour! well here is my secret (only available on
NT system with 24h access to the Net).

make 2 CMD file

part1.cmd :
d:
cd Mersenne
ren worktodo.ini *.tmp
copy start.ini worktodo.ini

part2.cmd :
d:
cd Mersenne
type worktodo.ini >> worktodo.tmp
del worktodo.ini
ren worktodo.tmp *.ini

modify your prime.ini ( look in the documentation for the Time variable,
because it's quite complex):
DaysOfWork=20
Time=1-7/0:00-2:00,1-7/2:04-2:15,1-7/2:20-24:00

start part1.cmd with the AT command at 6:03 PST
start part2.cmd with the AT command at 6:18 PST

And now the hard and real important part:

monitor your Account report EVERY DAY (I can't stress this enough, because
EVERY DAY 4-5 new exponent are going to be assigned to you, if you are only
able to monitor your account on the weekend modify the part* schedule and
Time setting, to fit your need) and keep ONLY 60 days of work for your
computer, use the release form on PrimeNet to release high exponent that you
can't complete in 60 Days. and reorder your assignment so that the smallest
exponent are finished first.

I've been doing this for about 6 months and let me tell you that it's quite
tedious, there is NEVER a day off :)

regards

David Campeau a.k.a "DiamondDave"

P.S: this can be used for any type of assignment! there is no reason why it
should be used ONLY on double-checking (modify your AT command and prime.ini
accordingly).

P.P.S: if you plan on doing this, DON'T quit in the middle w/o removing your
part1 & part2 from the scheduled task,