On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Hugh Senior wrote:

> I earlier reported problems when using the HP970cxi.
>
> Having spent most of the day on the phone to HP tech support, the upshot is
> that the HP970 driver does not work on the laptop (Hah!), although a clean
> re-install has (it seems) solved things on the PC.
>
> Just in case you need the info, the main jobs required are:
> 1. Ensure at least 64Mb RAM
> 2. Replace printer cables with (expensive) fully bi-directional IEEE 1284
> 3. Confirm LPT1 port is set to ECP in the BIOS
> 4. Remove all Epsom drivers

Uh, I think that's Epson.  But the reference to a common laxative
ingredient may also be appropriate ;-)

> 5. Download and install drivers for the HP895 (What??)

A sigh of relief as MetaCard seems to have dodged another bullet!  The
situation with HP printers is finally getting manageable for us.  I
don't think problems with HP printers are any less common now (in
fact, they may even be more common), but at least now the problems
seem to affect other applications with equal frequency, which gets us
off the hook.

Here's hoping that all these problems with buggy graphics cards
evolves the same way.  But I'm not too optimistic: unlike HP, the
vendors of those cards are a lot more callous in their disregard for
quality and customer satisfaction.  If anything, HP's problem is being
*too* customer oriented.  Most of the problems with their hardware and
drivers are a result of their attempts to be on the bleeding edge of
UI design, performance, and capabilities.

> Good news for Mac users: You don't get any of this.

Two more days till the Mac OS X public beta!  Here's hoping we're not
wading into another morass like Windows 95/98/Me ;-)
  Scott