On 20/9/00 9:23 pm, David Bovill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Having a lot more problems than I anticipated with uniquely referring to
> objects within a group. The aim is to do this consistently so that if needed
> the group can be duplicated on the same card and each group behave as
> expected.
>
> It is hard to tell what happens as there project is too complex for using
> the debugger, but now it looks as if I can't use the following type
> expressions:
>
> 1) btn x of me
>
> 2) btn x of the owner of me
>
> The reason for this is that ther are two objects with the same name as
> me/the owner of me. I'm not sure about the target, and I'm not sure about
> using:
>
> 3) btn x of myGroup (where mygroup = the long id of me)
>

> Really appreciate some help on this as it's driving me nuts, as I have so
> many objects to change the names of for each trial (yes I know I should
> experiment on a simple test case first). Anyone know a bullet proof way of
> referring to an object? Preferably something of the form "control someName
> of someObject" in such a way that these references remain intact iwth
> cutting and pasting etc...

Not sure if I follow exactly what you're trying to do, but can't you use the
long ID of the objects inside the groups to parse out the ID of the groups
in question, then refer to everything by ID?

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited (formerly Cross Worlds Computing).
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.