Scott Reynen wrote:

 Tantek Çelik wrote:

To minimize the negative impact of that violation, the datetime design
pattern does two things:
1. Keep both copies of the data on the same element (the further apart two copies of data, the greater the chance that that copies will diverge). 2. Keep both copies of the data at least somewhat visible to humans so that at least *some* human eyes/ears can easily inspect both copies and ensure
that they have not diverged.

None of the markup possibilities in the wiki do #2 above (except the current recommendation): http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr- results#Markup_Possibilities

Look again.
* Span with title property.

It sounds like these aren't really possibilities at all. I don't see how we can possibly reach any sort of consensus solution here when we seem to have completely opposed goals intermingled as if they're the same. Some people are clearly trying to *minimize* the visibility while others are trying to *maximize* the visibility of machine-readable dates. Let's try to get everyone on the same page here.

In addition to span[titile] existing Microformat plug-ins and parsers do the following quite nicely, making all of the listed markup formats very real possibilities.

 2. Keep both copies of the data at least somewhat visible to humans