On 2016-01-21 15:45, Aron Roberts wrote:

> "At the time this Catalog was prepared, the campus computer network
> used for instruction and research included a large IBM VM/CMS system,

Don't get me started :-) .  From 1980 until 1994 I was a systems
programmer in IST (working in Evans Hall) supporting the VM/CMS
operating system.  (I also was in the MVS systems group during the same
period).  Much of what we take for granted today, technologically, would
have been considered science fiction at that time.  I recall, sometime
in the late 70s (I was still an applications programmer, also in Evans,
pre-IST), seeing articles in the industry press about work being done on
so-called "cellular" phones that would actually allow you to move around
over long distances while engaged in a phone conversation!  (And I
remember hoping I would live long enough to have one of those things).
Even in the mid 90s, by which time I was in CNS, we were playing around
with a wireless connection of our laptops to the campus network.  I
could actually walk down the hall with my laptop without losing my
network connectivity (for a few yards anyway).

As I managed to save a good percentage of my email beginning in 1980, I
am able to remind myself of this history whenever I'm afflicted with
nostalgia.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman