On 7/6/2011 16:57, Bj Raz wrote:
>>> I'm not building with glibc, I'm using msvc in my build. So I can
>> compiler
>>> Windows '.exe's' on linux.
>>> Which regardless of the ranlib error the c compiler works fine when I use
>>> it. though I'd prefer not having the ranlib error.
>>>
>>> Cause when I start to try and build c++ it doesn't work.
>>>

>> So, you're trying to build GCC that targets windows, and runs on
>> Windows, but you're on Linux? Please explain clearly your goals.
>>
> To get a version of Linux that will run on my hardware, not in a VM, which
> works fine.

You complain that modern distros are "too new" hardware, yet you run one
in a VM. I do not see how this is mingw-w64 related.

>> If you want your cross GCC to run on Linux, you should never be using
>> cross binutils to build cross GCC in the first place.
>>
> I am running GCC on the SuSE 11 in the VM. Using MSVC as my C library.

MSVCRT is a WINDOWS C runtime, it doesn't have anything to do with
Linux, in any case, you will already need a working cross compiler for
Windows to use it. To use the cross compiler under Linux, it has to be
built for Linux, not Windows.

> I can't build Linux on my "hardware", I want to build it on the "hardware"
> in the case, in Windows, since I can't get Linux on my hardware. So if I
> want to make linux for my hardware, I need a full version of Linux to build
> another full version of Linux. Not just some half built version like msys,
> cygwin, or intrerix, that all are half baked gnu environments, that aren't
> made to be used like a full distro that you can build in/on.

Exactly, so remind me how mingw-w64 is involved again? mingw-w64 doesn't
provide any gnu environment at all, you already have a Linux VM, use it
for your "fully baked" gnu environment.

> I'd not trust them for enough utilities or 64bit capabilities to compile a
> new distro of Linux that will run on my hardware.

Why not? Either it works, or it does not.