that (restoring consistency with ksh93/bash) would be good, I believe.
subtle incompatibilities in behaviour (as opposed to syntax differences
causing manifest syntax errors) are the most painful when porting
scripts between shells in my experience, especially because they might
be missed during (imperfect) testing and only surface much later in a
bad way. so trying to avoid such incompatibilities seems beneficial.
this assessment also applies to the issue I reported here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mksh/+bug/1857702

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of mksh

Title:
  here string behaviour different in mksh and ksh93

Status in mksh:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  consider

  IFS=$'\n'
  x=(a "b c")
  cat <<< ${x[*]}
  cat <<< "${x[*]}"
  cat <<< ${x[@]}
  cat <<< "${x[@]}"

  executing this in mksh (or zsh, incidentally) yields the output

  b c
  b c
  b c
  b c

  (i.e. identical output, always inserting first IFS char between
  elements, for all variants of accessing all elements of the array)
  while ksh93 (or bash, for that matter) yields

  b c
  b c
  a b c
  a b c

  (i.e. `*' behaves different from `@' but double quoting is
  ineffectual).

  I am not sure whether this is a bug (either in ksh93 or mksh) but wanted to
expected to start with is, that
  the above "here string" commands would yield the same output as

  print ${x[*]}
  print "${x[*]}"
  print ${x[@]}
  print "${x[@]}"

  which is neither true for ksh93 nor for mksh. is this all good and
  well and I am only overlooking something obvious?