OK, turns out that this was indeed a bug (but the presence of DOHEREDOC
probably predates the existence of DOSCALAR so understandable). I hope
this doesn’t introduce any regressions. Testcase also committed.

** Changed in: mksh

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of mksh

Title:
  here string behaviour different in mksh and ksh93

Status in mksh:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  consider

  IFS=$'\n'
  x=(a "b c")
  cat <<< ${x[*]}
  cat <<< "${x[*]}"
  cat <<< ${x[@]}
  cat <<< "${x[@]}"

  executing this in mksh (or zsh, incidentally) yields the output

  b c
  b c
  b c
  b c

  (i.e. identical output, always inserting first IFS char between
  elements, for all variants of accessing all elements of the array)
  while ksh93 (or bash, for that matter) yields

  b c
  b c
  a b c
  a b c

  (i.e. `*' behaves different from `@' but double quoting is
  ineffectual).

  I am not sure whether this is a bug (either in ksh93 or mksh) but wanted to
expected to start with is, that
  the above "here string" commands would yield the same output as

  print ${x[*]}
  print "${x[*]}"
  print ${x[@]}
  print "${x[@]}"

  which is neither true for ksh93 nor for mksh. is this all good and
  well and I am only overlooking something obvious?