Andreas Kähäri <andreas.kah...@abc.se> writes:

Well, that's one way to control this trainwreck of a script; just say that any name containing "inappropriate" characters aren't allowed!

May I ask why you don't simply use rsync(1) (or even openrsync(1) from
the OpenBSD base system)?

i'm not sure why you're addressing this to me, as i'm not the OP.

That said, yes, minimising the extent to which certain non-'word' characters (i.e. roughly the POSIX 'alnum' class as described in re_format(7)) _can_ make it easier to programatically do certain tasks which are restricted by the long and messy history of C and Unix development. Given that i've been using computers for a few decades, i still instinctively don't use spaces in filenames, even though they're very much allowed. But of course, that's not what most of the world does, and this is an example of trying to work out what the best tradeoffs might be when dealing with the messiness of the real world.

Alexis.