Страхиња Радић <cont...@strahinja.org> writes:

Дана 24/05/12 07:31PM, Alexis написа:

Omitting -r as a parameter to read would make it interpret backscape sequences, which would make the directory name in the filesystem different than the one command/script operates on, which is most likely undesired (unless the intention is to exploit some bug).

Yes, i understood that omitting `-r` would make it interpret escape sequences, hence me asking:

about the possibility of someone having consciously put e.g. a \t in a directory name because they were assuming that it
_would_  get interpreted when required?

So i take your answer as, in reference a comment in the other subthread: yes, there are in fact 'inappropriate' characters, in the sense that certain representations of certain characters aren't allowed. Which seems very reasonable to me. Thanks for explaining.

Alexis.