On Sun May 12 20:58:43 2024 Andreas Kähäri wrote
> With rsync(1):
>
>       rsync -n -aim --delete-excluded \
>               --include-from=list \
>               --include='*/' \
>               --exclude='*' \
>               source/ target

I don't understand what your command does exactly.  And this is surely
of everyone interest since, like me, everyone has many files and
directories in $HOME which are not worth to save, as ~/.cache for
example.  If you take a second look to my examples, the one using pax
and the other using rsync inside a loop, both are thought to synchronize
*only* what I put in the list and, as you see, in the list there are
files and directories.  I appreciate that you or any other rsync expert
here show me how to accomplish that (in case it's possible) with rsync
without resorting to a loop as I did.

(Not challenging, I'm asking this as favor.)

I use a simliar solution to syncronize my $HOME directory to other
machines.  Related to the idea of synchronizing a selection of files and
directories saved in a list, I attempted to lern how rdist(1) works, as
Robert B. Carleton advised me, but I couldn't see much, rdistd(1) core
dumped.