On 15 November 2010 07:46, Albert Santoni <albe...@mixxx.org> wrote:
> Warning: Possible giant troll.

:)

> Hey guys,
>
> I've always had a beef with 5-star ratings in music applications
> that's turned me off using them. I struggle with the meaning of each
> rating, and it's always been my hunch that just having a single star
> column that you can toggle (a la GMail) would be way more convenient.
>
> What's the difference between 3, 4 star, and 5 stars?
>
> If you rate songs as 1 star (out of 5), why do you even have that in
> your library? (In Mixxx, you can "Remove" them.)
>
> The mapping from a 5-star system to my imaginary 1-star system would be:
> 4, 5 stars --> starred
> 2, 3 stars --> unstarred
> 1 star --> remove
>
> Does anyone actually use all 5 stars?

Yeah I do. I've been using 5-star ratings in Madman for years.
5 = absolute favourite
4 = excellent
3 = good
2 = not completely without merit
1 = I'd never voluntarily play this, but it remains in my library for
one of the following reasons:
(a) it's a track from a CD album which I might want to burn in its original form
(b) on rare occasions it might be useful/requested (not all gigs are
for the hippest underground crowd, unfortunately some of us still have
to do weddings, family barbecues etc sometimes...)

Downgrading from a 5-star to a 1-star system is lossy for me, while
you can trivially use a 5-star system as if it were a 1-star system if
you want.

Ben
--
Quextal plays progressive and psychedelic breakbeats and 4/4s
for innerspace journeying and wild dancing.