Well, firstly I think the fact that other apps do it isn't a good
argument for why we should :)

But I think the outcome of this conversation will be that there are
two types of people:

1) All of my songs have accurate metadata and are well organised, I
like to have a detailed rating system to allow me to further
categorise things.

2) Everything is all over the place, cds I ripped, stuff I downloaded,
bought from iTunes etc... Metadata is unreliable at best. I use stars
to make sense of chaos.

They're two kind of different use cases. I am 2) and I've tried to use
the 5-star thing in iTunes and found it to be a bit of a waste of
time, I'm never going to rate my whole library. I always resort to
free text search both there and in Mixxx and probably would use a
1-bit star tag.

But yeah, my point is they're two different things really... it
depends what use case we want to satisfy.

I actually wonder if 1) people are being limited by the 5-star thing
and freeform tags wouldn't solve their problem better rather than
having to encode their information into the 2.something bits of the
stars.

Adam