martin langhoff wrote:

 snip.
>         Another item that we should really have is a good (and somehow
> sanctioned) RPM that replaces the apache rpm (or deb) included in broken
> distros. Then we can include in the guide and related pages a link for
> [broken-distro-name] users, so they get a suitable replacement with a
> similar config. That's an important issue, because a redhat user has
> other non-standard modules included in his rpm, such as PHP, and
> compiling a *complete* apache, with mod_perl, php and the kitchen sink
> is a daunting task -- and too high an entry price.
>
>         anyway, not an easy task ... mmhhh..
>
> martin

Has anyone out there tried the apache toolbox?  It looks like an
interesting program that asks you what options you want in your apache,
then downloads, compiles and installs your apache server.  If it works
as described, it would be a good option to recommend for users with
broken rpms as you describe. It suposedly supports mod_perl, ssl, and
even php all together somehow.

I've never used it, but am planning to give it a shot next time I have
to compile a new server.

Its at: http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

Nathan Stitt
Head Programer, Chief Cook, and Bottle Washer.
Alliance Medical
http://www.allmed.net/