On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Aaron Johnson wrote:

> I am all for advocating the use of mod_perl, but the
> basics of setup, install and usability are always going
> to be key.

really? how many people actually need to configure and
install mod_perl itself? how many people simply need a
really simple templating engine with builtin database
access? aren't their needs very different?

> Does anyone have any figures on how long it takes to
> setup a mod_perl server vs. a php server? (correctly,
> not just running)

i don't have figures, but from experience i know - once i've
compiled httpd, i have almost no real configuration work to
do with php. on the other hand, if i want to set up mason, i
have to write 10-20 lines of perl code and access them with
PerlModule or PerlRequire. if i want multiple mason sites i
have to dig back into that perl script. certainly not
difficult, but kinda irritating, and takes more effort to
maintain, especially across multiple machines.

> Before we determine whether to advocate we need to term
> what and how to advocate.

agree!