On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, kyle dawkins wrote:

> * We need to drop-kick DBI out of the park... it's not that it's bad (it's
> actually great... kudos to the DBI crew) but kind of the opposite; it's so
> easy to use that most people don't think beyond it.  How many of you have
> ever thought about implementing an Object-Relational middleware layer using
> mod_perl?  We could create a set of generic OR classes as part of our
> foundation framework.

Please take a look at:

Alzabo (alzabo.sourceforge.net) - my own project
Tangram (www.tangram-persistence.org)

Those two are both very ambitious in terms of multiple DB support and
complete abstraction.

There are a number others that in a similar vein that are less ambitious
(IMO):

Class::DBI
DBIx::DBSchema
BingoX::Carbon
DbFramework

Those are all on CPAN.  Of all of them, Tangram is by far the most mature.
It is also actively maintained.  I know that the first three on the bottom
list, as well as Alzabo, are also being maintained.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun