On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Steve Davis wrote:

> Upon successfully compiling mod_perl 2.0, and modifying httpd.conf so
> that it becomes invoked at the start of Apache 2.0.43, the following
> error message is gernerated.  It is "httpd failed. The error was:
> Starting httpd: httpd: module "mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this
> version of Apache.
> Please contact the vendor for the correct version. [FAILED]"
>
> If you would like you, may refer to the previous thread named "mod_perl
> make failed: cannot find -lapr" for a history of the root of this
> problem-particularly the last post directly before this article.  This
> also shows the detail environment and configuration for the server in
> question.  Else, I would be glad more details to this post.  In brief,
> let me say, the system consists of RH 8.0, apache 2.0.43, and current
> CVS edition of mod_perl 2.0.  It has a date stamp of 1/1/03.
>
> This is one problem which I don't know how to proceed with.  Is this
> message saying the code in mod_perl's "mod_perl.c" is using an edition
> of 'C' code that is incompatible with Apache 2.0?  Is the development
> environment for which mod_perl 2.0 is being developed, by its creators,
> using a 'C' compiler that is different than what is found on RH 8.0?
> Does any one have an idea of how I might go about solving this problem?
> Any advance given would be appreciated.

I think in general the problem
  "mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this version of Apache.
means that mod_perl was compiled against a different set of
Apache sources than that used to build the server trying to
load the mod_perl module (assuming that the same compiler
is being used in building Perl, Apache, and mod_perl).

Just to clarify what came from where ....

- are you using a modperl-2.0 cvs snapshot from
     http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/modperl-2.0/?
- are you running Apache 2.0.43, compiled from the sources
  httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz from
     http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/?

If so, does modperl-2.0 compile against these apache 2.0 sources
successfully?

--
best regards,
randy