Randy,

You 'maybe' on to something here.  Let me report to you what I found.
In order to be as careful and consistent as possible, I've actually
started to keep a log of my activities.  It records which commands which
I've been used to compile the packages.  So I can saw with certainty the
following.  Here are the parameters which I used to compile both Apache
and mod_perl.

To configure Apache:
./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd --with-mpm=prefork

To configure mod_perl:
perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=/etc/httpd MP_APXS=/etc/httpd/bin/apxs
MP_INST_APACHE2=1 MP_DEBUG=1

Also, when I examine /etc/httpd/bin/httpd (the executable),
/etc/httpd/lib/libarp*,  and /etc/module/mod_perl.so, all the theses
files have a creation date that's current (today's date).  Plus,
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf points to the current file locations.  According
to the RH 8.0 docs regarding Apache 2.X, they suggest modifying
httpd.conf to incorporate the use of an include statement which invokes
/etc/conf.d/perl.conf.  This latter file points to
/etc/httpd/module/mod_perl.3.0.  I've mapped the files and dates.  There
doesn't appear to be any conflict here.

However, for good measure, I just completed a search of the /etc/* and
/usr/* directories for the presence of the httpd executable.  And there
are two of them on the system.  To be expected, the /etc/httpd/bin/httpd
executable is present.  However, these is also an existence of a httpd
executable under /usr/sbin.  When I changed the name of /etc/sbin/httpd
to /etc/sbin/httpd-bu (backup).  The httpd web server wouldn't start any
longer (I toggled this off and on via the service utilility [start ->
system settings -> service]).  /etc/sbin/httpd has a footprint of 384.7K
where as /etc/httpd/bin/httpd is a 2meg file.  I don't know whether
/etc/sbin/httpd is being used to merely start /etc/httpd/bin/httpd or
not.  If you can advise further it would be helpful.

This is the first time which I had to gain the merits (and subsequent
challenges) of dealing with the open source world.  Bringing mod_perl
on-line has been a bitter-sweet experience.  On the up side, it is
certainly sweet to gain help from others for which I am exceedingly
grateful for.  In this regard, the help being provided is making this a
better experience.  To your credit, I not accustom to this type of aid
when dealing with the proprietary world.  That is, I am not familiar
with receiving the same degree of cooperation, support, and camaraderie.
Therefore, let me continue to express my gratitude.  It means a lot to
me.  Thank you.

Steve

Steve D