[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Khemir Nadim) writes:
> Everything that was said in this thread was very interresting and I, too,
> belive things should get better and I encourage those that want to do things
> _now_.

None of these ideas are new.

> - Any one can start whatever hierarchy

This is not a problem, now we have search.cpan.org.

> - Anyone can load whatever piece of code to CPAN, good or bad

I don't agree that this is a problem.

> - Documentation level is a catastrophy, check how many readme are those
> generated by h2xs

But the generation was added to h2xs because people weren't putting in
READMEs, and so an autogenerated one is better than nothing!

> - The document about how to use CPAN is not clear enough or I haven't found
> the right one yet

You haven't found the right one yet.

> - 25 versions of the same module do no make it easy to look around in CPAN

This is not a problem now we have search.cpan.org.

> - Authors don't answer or have given up on maintaining there modules

THEY ARE VOLUNTEERS.

> - The same day, the same module can be uploaded to CPAN multiple times

Yes, module authors can fix bugs quickly. How terrible!

> Far from me the idea to refuse uploading of modules to CPAN but 3 years from
> now, we'll have a "useless module heap".  If there is a need for curators, I
> believe it does, then those should be given a mandat and power to apply it
> or it will be useless.

*We have been through this*. Innumerable times. Still nothing happened.

The people most likely to act as curators got together (as they do
periodically) and decided that better metadata would be the best short-term
goal. I'll try and get some of them to write up the latest set of proposals.

--
"The best index to a person's character is a) how he treats people who can't
do him any good and b) how he treats people who can't fight back."