Title: RE: Name for GStreamer bindings

> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 14:08 +0100, David Landgren wrote:
>
> > Another alternative is to let the user choose. Take a look at Yves'
> > Data::Dumper::Streamer module. During the installation, the user has a
> > choice of additionally installing it in the DDS namespace (this does not
> > occur by default).
>
> That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  Application
> writers couldn't be sure if they can use the short version of the package name, since
> it's up to the user/package if it gets enabled.

Except that application writers shouldn't give a toss about how long a modules name is.

Somebody writing one liners or quick snippet might have a case but anybody writing maintainable code doesn't.

The point of the DDS alias is so you can say:

  perl -MDDS -e"Dump(bless qr/oh my god!/,'ARRAY')"

Not really so that you can say

  use DDS;

Cheers
Yves