Torsten Schoenfeld writes:

> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 00:26 -0500, Randy W. Sims wrote:
>
> > I don't see any advantage of using Gst over GStreamer as a name,
> > they both describe the same thing and GStreamer is a tad more
> > helpfull (to google a description).
>
> It's all about the length.

It always is.  Obviously everybody would prefer the modules that they
use frequently to have the shortest possible names.  The trouble with
that is we all work with different things in our daily lives, and
abbreviations which are customary in a particular field are unfathomable
to those outside the field -- indeed, it's often not even possible to
work out what the field is.

If all modules have really short names then nobody knows when anybody
else's modules are for, which rather defeats the purpose of Cpan.  Cpan
is a global namespace, and as such names have to be chosen carefully to
be as meaningful as possible to people who don't share the author's
context.

> I need something that is easy and fast to type.

Why?  I can see why you'd _like_ something that's less to type, but why
is there a need that applies to this module rather than other modules.
You only have to type the module name in the use line and in any class
methods, often just a constructor.

"GST" can mean many things (try Googling for it) -- even within the
context of Gnome it has another meaning:

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/

Smylers