On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 18:25 +0000, Smylers wrote:

> If all modules have really short names then nobody knows when anybody
> else's modules are for, which rather defeats the purpose of Cpan.  Cpan
> is a global namespace, and as such names have to be chosen carefully to
> be as meaningful as possible to people who don't share the author's
> context.

Yeah, I agree.  That's why I like Mark's proposal of using aliased.pm to
alias something like Media::GStreamer to Gst.

> > I need something that is easy and fast to type.
>
> Why?  I can see why you'd _like_ something that's less to type, but why
> is there a need that applies to this module rather than other modules.
> You only have to type the module name in the use line and in any class
> methods, often just a constructor.

I tried to explain that in my original mail.  The GStreamer bindings,
just like Gtk2 or Gnome2, are different.  You don't just use one
constructor once.  Typical applications will have to create many
Gst::Element's, a few Gst::Structure's, some Gst::Index's, Gst::Caps's,
a Gst::Clock, etc., etc.  Try imagining how long this paragraph would be
if I used Multimedia::GStreamer as the namespace.

> "GST" can mean many things (try Googling for it) -- even within the
> context of Gnome it has another meaning:

It's the object prefix the library itself uses, and also has other
precedents.

--
Bye,
-Torsten