On Jun 16, 2005, at 10:12 PM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

Do you mean to say that 99% of the time (when --foo and --no-foo are
both present) that it is because somebody has an alias with a --foo
flag written into it?

Restated:  if we counted 100 times that the user used these flags
together, 99 of them would be due to an alias?

Surely not.

In my experience it's more like 99.999%. And I can't actually remember seeing a legit case of the 0.001% coming out of my fingers, but I'm throwing it in there as a bone.

The alias thingy is just an example of people setting up their preferred default behavior and then allowing themselves to alter that in occasional specific cases. It's a common idiom for lots of commands that take flags.

 -Ken