* Orton, Yves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-06-20 12:15]:
> Im confused why the obvious solution to the second is not good
> enough.
>
>  local @[EMAIL PROTECTED];
>
> Goes a long way you know.

I don’t like that at all, myself. It works, sure, but then so
does “local $/”, and guess what’s happening to all the
filehandle-specific globals in Perl 6?

I don’t see how being able to *optionally* say something like

    GetOptions(
        [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        # ...
    );

would detract from anything at all. All it takes to implement in
GetOptions() are about two lines of code. (With current calling
conventions; I did look.)

* Johan Vromans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-06-20 14:35]:
> You mean, you are going to pass things like STDOUT, STDERR, ENV
> and so on, to every function that may use them? [1]

Yeah, and

    chomp $foo

is wasteful – we should teach people to just say

    do { local *_ = \$foo; chomp; }

Hmm, but where the heck does that strange “select FH” fit in
anywhere?

:-)

I think it’s a good default for GetOptions to process @ARGV.
Noone will dispute that. I also think it would be a good thing to
be able to explicitly pass a different array instead. I can’t see
why anyone would dispute that.

#Aristotle
*AUTOLOAD=*_=sub{s/(.*)::(.*)/print$2,(",$\/"," ")[defined wantarray]/e;$1};
&Just->another->Perl->hacker;