On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Bill Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Jonathan Rockway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Some other thoughts... is the license specified in the META.yml legally
>> binding in any way?  If not, anyone using the module will have to look
>> at the rest of the distribution to determine its license, again negating
>> the usefulness of this field.
>
> Another good point.  One could put GPL in the META.yml but have a LICENSE
> section in the POD that says "same terms as Perl itself" -- which one wins?

Once we have a clear definition of what should be the text in the POD section
CPANTS will check if the licenses are the same. Actually I am sure
we'll be able
to upload a stand alone module that will check it and I think if you
use Dist::Zilla
you won't have to care as it will insert the right thing everywhere base on the
license keyword you give it.

>> Then again, I, as the author, don't really know what license my
>> distributions are distributed under.  I could pick one, but can I really
>> be sure that it applies?  If I use Term::ReadLine and it picks the
>> Term::ReadLine::Gnu, is my module GPL now?
>>
>> I don't know and I don't care.  Does anyone else?
>
> Some people care a lot; to others it doesn't matter so long as it's
> available.  There are some major differences between the licenses, mainly
> around what can be done with derivative works, but that's a lot less likely
> to be an issue with a Perl module.

I know, at some of my clients the license issue is critical.
Some of the downstream distributors (Debian, Fedora ) are also very picky
about the licensing terms.

They might be extreme but I prefer these over the other extreme
that says:
"oh its free software, we can do whatever want with it"
and then go on and redistribute a GPL software in their
proprietary application.

So I'd rather make it easy to check the license.

Gabor Szabo
http://szabgab.com/blog.html