On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

Right, so just let everyone in any coffee shop or any other open network
you connect to sniff all your traffic.

Did you have an actual point?

Yep, but it appears you completely missed it.  I use encryption all the
time, but outside of authentication its merit is questionable when it
concerns information that is a) public information (especially in the
context of published open source) and b) information going to an untrustable third party like Google.

Personally, I have no use for metacpan, and don't care what they do.  But as
a general operating principle, I like to use the appropriate tools where
they're *appropriate*.  I expect my bank's websites to be fully SSL, I
expect my on-line brokerage's sites to be fully SSL.  But what exactly is
the risk with a search engine of a highly specialized and highly public
information?  I fail to see the benefit, and I tend towards paranoia
naturally.

OSS is about freedom & choice.  As long as users have a choice (an
alternative to metacpan) feel free to force your preferences on the users.
But in the unfortunate circumstance where metacpan becomes the only choice
it'd be nice if the maintainers try to be a little less dogmatic about it.
They should be inclined towards maximum accessibility, not maximum
pedagoguery.

I know I didn't get the memo but I think someone did claim that metacpan was the "de facto" interface these days...

        --Arthur Corliss
          Live Free or Die