On 9-Dec-04, at 7:09 AM, Daniel Jung wrote:
Actually, we are; in one moo this fall (translation studies), and we'll try to patch our other moos before next semester. It's not really "public" though. Anyway, it's doing great so far.

Good to hear.

It's a gross hack. Doing better would be a lot of fun.

Feel free to do that... What is "better"?

Better would be:

A) Changing the MOO's internals such that strings are composed of multi-byte unicode characters. The current patch modifies all string functions to treat the strings as UTF-8 encoded characters.

B) Allowing connecting clients to specify the encoding they wish to use on the MOO. The current patch assumes all clients will accept and understand UTF-8.

C) Creating a replacement data type for BLOBs, as multi-byte strings are not optimal for this. Think char[] vs. String in Java, non-unicode vs. unicode strings in Python, or char[] vs. wchar[] in C.

D) Recognizing non-english characters in MOO code. Variable names don't have to be limited to the typical ascii characters. What kind of support should there be for replacement characters? Can U+00D7 (MULTIPLICATION SIGN) be used rather than *?

E) There are many unicode combining characters. Should they be treated as one character by string accessors? If you were to print all the characters in a string on separate lines, you wouldn't want to print the combining characters separately.

--
 Mathieu Fenniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://stompstompstomp.com/

############################################################# This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to the mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Send administrative queries to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>