Dead?  Hardly.  Pinin' for the fjords maybe every now and then...

Start planning the 21st birthday bash.  First drink's on me.

--Peter

________________________________
 From: Scott Burns <s...@columbus.rr.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Subject: [MOPO] Our 19th Birthday: Not Dead Yet!

How interesting that Helmut posted his analysis of MoPo posts from the past
week TODAY, which just happens to be MoPo’s 19th birthday. As Bruce then
commented, the other 2 existing poster forums “are pretty dead” as well. Are we
really all talked out? Has Facebook taken over the world? Is MoPo an Internet
dinosaur and no longer necessary? Questions to ponder…but first, as I always do
every February 24th, a brief review of MoPo history…

On February 24, 1995 the first official MoPo post was distributed via American
University’s listserv. For a few weeks prior to that launch date, the handful
of original MoPo members simply cc’d their e-mail messages to the other people
in the group (there were 11 at the beginning). In keeping with my annual
tradition, I’d like to recognize those MoPo pioneers:

Mahtab Moayeri, Michael Danese, Rob Ellis, Donna Tschetter, Goh Kai Shen, Evan
Zweifel, George Nichol, Cindy Nemeth-Johannes, Adam Ehrlich, myself (your
humble listowner) and AOL’er Static555—real name Jeff Static. Michael, Rob and
Evan are still members. Cindy sadly passed away in June 2008, but her husband
Jay has taken her place on MoPo. Hats off to all the MoPo originals!

I’d also like to send out my annual thank you to American University, our
generous host. I’m surprised, but grateful, they continue to maintain their
listserv system, a relic from the early days of the Internet. Yes, it has
limitations (no fancy graphics, mail delivery issues) but it still serves our
intimate group well.

Happy 19th Birthday MoPo! But will we make it to 20? Should we?

My deepest thanks to all of you for the ride (so far) and for however long it
lasts!

Scott
MoPo List Owner