I agree that <anytag/> could cause problems, especially with the growing
list of reserved tag names (ne, wall, zone). I wholeheartedly support a
fixed tag, but I'm not sure "option" is it. What about <np/> (already in
the manual) or <xml-markup/> or <xml-input/> or <moses/>?

Here's another idea. The -xml-input flag supports values "exclusive,"
"inclusive," "ignore" and "pass-through." What about changing the flag
to a boolean flag. Then, use the value as the xml tags: <exclusive/>,
<inclusive/> and <ignore/> so the one invocation of Moses would support
all modes on a per-sentence basis. Just a thought. Think this would also
be easier if you dropped the "pass-through" option because no need for
backwards compatibility.

Another idea, although slightly different subject. Moses'
-monotone-at-punctuation flag would be more useful if we could
define/override the punctuation & symbols that we want it to use. Not
sure how to best accomplish this.

Tom