On 30 October 2012 08:50, Peter Van Roy <peter.van...@uclouvain.be> wrote:

> We are getting close to a release for Mozart 2.0, the new 64-bit
> reimplementation of Mozart, our noses are close to the grindstone, probably
> one reason for the recent lull in mozart-users. [etc...]

That's really good to hear from the horse's mouth, Peter!

> The next step is the distribution subsystem.  Mozart 2.0 has a reflective
> language interface, where you can write Oz code to change the semantics of
> language operations.

Brilliant.  I got nothing against Gump, but that whole C/yacc route was a
bit convoluted for my tastes.

>  We will use this to reimplement the network-transparent distribution.
>  The reflective interface means that the new distribution subsystem will be
> written completely in Oz!  Unlike the old distribution subsystem, which was
> written in C++ and which has become unmaintainable and unmanageable.

Excellent.  Can't wait.  As I mentioned I had all sorts of trouble running
network-tranparent stuff in anything other than 32-bit Linux.
I assume the old mozart-oz functionality (tickets, connections, etc) will
be kept, yes?

> We are also redoing completely the constraint subsystem.  It will be based
> on Gecode, and it is being implemented by the Avispa research group in
> Cali, Colombia.

Interesting.  I have been meaning to look at gecode for a while, now no
more excuses.  What I like best of its features is use of multiprocessors
locally.  I am assuming that it will comply with the model described by
Christian Schulte's "Programming Constraint Services" (Well, I see
Christian is heavily involved in gecode).  Just wondering, as I see it has
its own search engine.  Would that mean there would be two approaches to
search engines, I wonder?

I am also assuming that all the goodies described above will mean that
"Search.parallel" will not only be available, but even user programable.

More power to your elbows, devteam!!!

AG