2012/10/30 alexgian <alexg...@blueyonder.co.uk>

> On 30 October 2012 20:22, Gustavo Gutierrez
> <ggutier...@atlas.puj.edu.co>wrote:
>
> Just remember that the granularity that we can achieve (due to the current
>> design decisions in gecode) is to de point of parallelism oin the search
>> and *not* in the constraint propagation.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustavo
>>

> Thanks for clearing that up.
> Oh well, something for Mozart 3 then  ;-)

Well I would say that in most of the cases you want your filtering
algorithms to be as fast as possible and to prune as much as they can.
However it is already the case in several propagators that you trade
pruning for time and in the long term you still profit. Actually this is
the reason in gecode for being able to specify different consistencies when
you post constraints. Using parallelism inside the filtering algorithms is
something that is possible in the current gecode implementation but you
still pay the price of synchronization (because your propagator still needs
to satisfy gecode requirements). In the case of distribution on a network
of computers that synchronization is potentially more expensive. In any
case it would be nice to find examples of practical problems in which all
these costs are superseded by the gains in propagation.

> Good luck on the implementation integration.  I have to say
> "Search.parallel" or equivalent is absolutely indispensable in my opinion.

I would also like to see this feature again.

> Does this mean that "space" as a first class Mozart-Oz citizen, is
> actually implemented by the gecode library rather than as a "native"
> mozart-oz construct?  Will it still support "choice" points as per CTM ch.
> 9?

That means that conceptually there is only one space as described in CTM.
Internally that space contains a gecode space that is in charge of
constraint propagation. It is worth to say that gecode spaces are a
specialization of "mozart spaces" that are fine tunned for constraint
programming. Both of them were designed by Christian: computation spaces in
"oz-light" are the ones proposed in his PhD thesis and have been available
in Mozart since the beginning.

Regards,
Gustavo