Nelson B. Bolyard wrote:
Winston O'Brien wrote:

Folks;
   I send an encrypted/signed email to someone. Moz encrypts my copy in
the Sent folder. (I won't start a flame about not giving me a choice.)
Then the email is saved using "Save as.." to an external .eml file and
still encrypted.
    Now, how can I read this archived piece of email? Archiving is
needed to keep down the bandwidth in the IMAP interaction. Is there an
independent/external application that can decrypt/display this S/MIME
file?  Obviously the certX.db file will be needed.

   Any help is appreciated...

To save your emails locally, instead of using save as, create a "local folder"
and save it to the local folder (folder on your local system, or could be a
network mounted file system). mozilla will have no difficulty decrypting it from the local folder.

Since you've already done this "save as", what you need to do is to manually
reinsert the saved mail into a mozilla mail folder. You can try this:
Create a new local folder in mozilla. Copy a few messages into it so it won't be empty - maybe some spam ;-). Then exit mozilla, and look at the files for the local folder you've just created. You'll see that one of the files is a plain text file which just has the messages more-or-less concatenated together with (if I recall correctly) a special "From" line as the first line of each message.
Just add your "save as" message to that folder file. You'll have to make up your own special From line. Use the other From lines to see how they're
constructed. Then restart mozilla and look in the folder you've just edited. Your saved message will probably appear, and you may well be able to decrypt it.
--
Nelson Bolyard Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not for Netscape
Nelson;

Winston O'Brien