Winston O'Brien wrote:

> Nelson;
>     I was hoping this wasn't the answer. This says that Moz is a closed
> product that doesn't interact with other products even when using RFC
> standard protocols and algorithms.

No, it says nothing of the sort.

mozilla sends RFC 822 and MIME and SMIME complaint messages using SMTP and
receives them using POP3 or IMAP.  Obviously, that IS interacting with other
products using RFC standard protocols.

Nearly every email client program has its own email folder file format.
If you want the email client program to read a mail message that you've
stored in a local file, you have to put the message in a folder format for
the mail client to read it. That's true for BSD mail and System V mailx.
mozilla is certainly no exception to this rule.

You could also email the message to yourself as an attachment.  As long as
the attachment has MIME content type message/rfc822, it should work.
Using the file name extension .eml should suffice to achieve that.

>     I have started to try the certutil and cmsutil tools.

That is certainly doing it the hard way.

It's a 3 minute excersize with your favorite unix text editor tool (e.g.
vi or emacs) to put the file back into a folder and read it.  You could
write a small script to do this if you have many files to handle.

It's probably even faster than that to just remail the .eml message file to
yourself as an attachment, if you only have one such file to handle.

--
Nelson Bolyard
Disclaimer:                  I speak for myself, not for Netscape