Hi,

Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

Julien Pierre wrote:

[...]
My experience is that's more protection than is afforded to credit cards in France. In particular, the "quality of goods" provision means that most US merchants have flexible return policies. I have tried returning stuff I bought that I was unhappy with in France (with a credit card). No luck : it's up to the merchant, there is no law that gives this right. [...]

In my case it was brick and mortar. And the store wasn't willing to even exchange the item for something more suitable. The law was on their side.

Still "Visa Gold" and some other equivalent cards include a usually very little known and used, but still amazingly powerful insurance that enables you to get a full reimbursement if you're not satisfied with a purchase you made with the card.

Yes, but try actually using that insurance sometime. It typically has exclusions for foreign purchases. My US-issued platinum VISA credit card certainly did, so I was stuck with the item bought at retail in France, with no way to return or exchange it. I should have known not to buy retail.

Anyway, end of this off-topic story.