Peter Olufsen wrote:

>Before 3.61 was released there was some writing about faster
>VBR-performance, is that gone because
>of the Huffmann-search ?

I thought it was added to CVS but Takehiro has only added it to his
snapshot version.  The source is downloadable if you can compile it
yourself.  It may need some work before it is released in LAME.

3.61 is certainly a lot slower with -h.  The Win32 version on my AMD
K6-2 428 (-V4 -h -k) encodes at about 0.3x.  However, I'm not
complaining if the sound quality is better.  The next release may have
the -hx quality selection where you can choose your own quality/speed
ratio.

Ross.