> A bug report that arrived in my inbox -
> Seems like Mitya needs a "do not overwrite" mode.

His shell already offers one, as does UNIX file permissions.  Do we really need...

"Are you sure? [y/N] y"

"Are you really sure? [y/N] y"

"Perhaps you ought to think about it longer? [Y/n] n"

"I think you should go ask your parents first. [Y/n] n"

"Ok, but this is your last warning.  Proceed? [y/N] y"

"Type in the following phrase to continue: 'I understand what I am doing.'"
>>> I understand what I am doing

"Incorrect punctuation.  Please start over: Are you sure? [y/N]"

(Now if LAME is doing something purpousely counterintuitive, that's one thing.
But if a user insists on shooting himself in the foot repeatedly by explicitly
telling LAME to not do what he wants, he's not going to bother using the
equivalent of --no-clobber).

Monty