> > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > i tried the following test-wav:
> > it's a sweep from about 20Hz to
> > 20kHz, smoothly increasing the
> > frequency. FhG encoder did very
> > well, but with LAME the .mp3 has
> > audible clicks in it, where the
> > amplitude is being reduced.
>
> Are you using Winamp? Its decoder is buggy. Try a Fraunhofer decoder, e.g.
> l3dec or MS Media Player.
>
> -- Mat.

I'm quite sure this is the Winamp bug.  Someone else sent me
the same 20hz-20khz sweep test case about a week ago and I
looked at it then.  It is the same bug that was discused in this news
group about a month ago, but with a 100Hz tone, and another
version was also sent to me, with a 1kHz tone.

I've tried all of these test cases on about 8 different decoders, and
it only shows up in winamp versions which use the "Nitrane" decoder.
There seem to be some sleasy details involving the history of nitrane
and winamp, and from what I hear there is no one left at nullsoft who
knows anything about mp3 decoding.

It might be interesting to track down what feature LAME is using
(that FhG is not using) that causes winamp problems.  I thought
it might be scsfi, but it isn't.

Mark