On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Robert Hegemann wrote:

> > >From your recent postings I'm detecting that you think -q1 can only rarely
> > give a sonic improvement. In fact it is more likely to degrade the sound
> > over -q2? If so, the Roel recommendation of -q1, seems a little dangerous?
> > You think the extra ~5% file size, that encoding using -q2 requires,
> > usually provides superior sound quality?
>
>       I don't know any track where the use of -q1 improves sound quality
>       compared to a same sized -q2. That's why I'm asking you all.

To be honest I haven't spotted any difference. I don't have decent
headphones and find listening tests on my HiFi arduous. I'll stick with -h
if there's some doubt over the quality of -q1. I like the extra encode
speed too :)
  I think Roel is the fella who swears by -q1. Maybe he's best to ask?
Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key