Whoa, Nelly!! There are a couple of important facts
that are missing from the below post.

First of all, Dean Zimmerman WAS allowed to speak in
the morning. I believe it was after Jim Niland gave
his farewell address. Dean was allowed as the outgoing
Park Board member representing the Ward to thank
everyone for their past support, etc. If that was all
that Dean wanted from the convention, he achieved it
and should have then left.

He didn't. Plus, he had several people at the
convention wearing "DFLers for Zimmerman" buttons. And
after the ruling of the chair that he could be
nominated but wouldn't be allowed to give a campaign
speech, he conveniently found a large piece of tape
which he placed over his mouth and kept there for most
of the convention (which he stayed at til the end). If
that wasn't a staged protest I don't know what was.

I might also add that the rules for the convention had
to be adopted in the morning. And if Mr. Zimmerman had
an objection to that particular rule which forbade him
from speaking, he should have had one of the delegates
on the floor who were supporting him to try and have
it stricken. He did not and it was not removed.

                             Loki Anderson
                             Audubon Park
                             Ward 1 (thankfully)
                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > It seems that the discussion about the 6th Ward
> convention is missing
> >  what should be the big story.  Besides the
> longstanding questions of the
> >  emphasis on caucus system because of the small
> number of participants,
> >  it appears that the 6th Ward convention has now
> raised questions about
> >  whether the process itself is even open or
> democratic.  I have now heard
> >  from a few corroborating sources that even though
> Dean Zimmerperson was
> >  nominated by one or more delegates, the
> leadership refused to allow him
> >  to speak!  So anyone who does not meet the DFL
> party hack purity test is
> >  not allowed to compete for the DFL endorsement?
> I will not rush to
> >  judgment since i was not there, but i am anxious
> to hear explanations.
> >
> >  Jordan Kushner
> >  Powderhorn, Ward 8
>
> My fellow Mpls residents,
>
> The 3rd and 5th paragraphs of my below posting
> clearly answers the questions
> around Dean Zimmermann's exclusion from being able
> to speak at yesterdays
> Ward 6 dfl convention:
>
> Dean "Zimmerperson" Zimmermann has been a very
> active member of the dfl for
> roughly 30 years.  Dean has worked on campaign after
> campaign, from the Co-op
> wars to the Jesse Jackson campaign, always working
> to promote a set of values
> he has held dear.  In 1993 Dean Zimmermann was
> overwhelmingly elected as a
> dfl endorsed candidate to the Mpls Park and
> Recreation Board and
> overwhelmingly re-elected in 1997 with the
> endorsements of both the dfl and
> the Green Party.
>
> Dean Zimmermann attended the dfl 6th Ward convention
> yesterday to address
> local activists and friends he has worked with over
> the years and ask for
> their personal support of his City Council
> candidacy.  Dean did not go to
> this convention to seek the dfl convention, he
> attended because he has strong
> ties with and shared values with many committed
> activists and friends within
> the dfl in the 6th Ward.
>
> Traditional dfl rules allow any elected official who
> carried the dfl
> endorsement (which Dean Z did) to address the
> convention for 2 minutes.
> Early morning the convention debated the new
> (special) rules proposed for the
> convention with specific rules not allowing "anyone
> who has or who is seeking
> the endorsement of another major party" to speak at
> the convention.  While
> these rules were debated, the Chair of the
> convention did allow Dean Z to
> address the convention for about 1 minute with the
> stipulation that he not
> mention his candidacy for City Council (which he did
> not).

> [...]

=====
"So quick bright things come to confusion."
                                 -Bill the Bard