"And I wonder, how I, a green Democrat, would be
treated at a Green Party event if I merely
appeared, never mind asked to speak at their small
gatherings?"   --Dyna Slyter

Repeated DFL references to small Green numbers strikes
me as arrogant, and not a little unfair.  It's a
little bit like hearing Bill Gates disdainfully note
how few people use Netscape's browser compared to
Microsoft's.

If the Minneapolis DFL isn't a classic political
monopoly, it certainly looks and behaves like one.
Case in point:  its selection of delegates -- who will
select a mayoral candidate -- more than one year ago,
before the field of candidates had even emerged.

If that isn't a classic anti-competitive tactic, what
is?  Microsoft argued that people had a choice between
its Internet browser and Netscape's because anyone who
wanted it could uninstall Microsoft's (yeah, right!)
and go download Netscape's.  McDonald, Rybak, et al
seem very much like the "Netscapes" of Minneapolis
mayoral politics.

Unfortunately, political monopolies -- unlike business
ones -- are perfectly legal.

Ross Kaplan
Fulton