Back 25 years ago when I was doing engineering for the phone company that
is now named Qwest, there were electric and telephone cables in each street
in downtown Minneapolis (and St. Paul and Duluth). With the expansion of
downtown and the multiple telecommunications providers now in the market,
the free spaces in most streets are likely all taken.

 A different route may have decreased the cost of utility moves (or could
have increased them) but would not have eliminated the need for utility
moves.

There was no plan to put all the utilities under 5th. In fact, I think back
when I was doing engineering, there were at least as many utilities under
Third Avenue and under 4th Street as under 5th Street.