A chain of messages related to building and packaging is available at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mspgcc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12028.html

At least two of us have successfully built toolchains with those
instructions; how to convert them into packaging for a particular
distribution isn't something that's likely to come from this list.  My
recommendation is follow the distribution's standard practices for
cross-compilation toolchains and look to existing solutions like AVR
and ARM for guidance.

TI makes some material available on:
http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-gcc-opensource

Personally I would not package a vendor-supplied fork, but that's a
policy decision for the distribution.

I notice that the most recent TI toolchain 371 (which is an update to
version 317 that comes with the CCS 6.0.0-190 release) has been posted
there in binary and source form.  The old source releases have been
removed.  I've reminded TI that the GPL licensing may require that
they remain available but am leaving any fights in that battle to
anybody who cares.

The upstream software (gcc, binutils, newlib) is incomplete: you do
need the headers and linker files from TI, which are available on TI's
page.   TI has not provided recommended integration practices for the
headers and linker scripts, nor promises related to
maintenance/compatibility/etc, so we're on our own.  In the days of
mspgcc those were carefully separated out as msp430mcu so you could
update the available MCUs without updating the toolchain; it would be
nice if new packaging solutions followed that practice.  Although I've
preferred to install those out-of-tree and add compiler flags so the
toolchain locates them, I think it's better to follow Eric's
recommendations in
http://www.mail-archive.com/mspgcc-users%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg12046.html
and overlay them into the toolchain installation directory so they're
found without special arguments.

I noticed that __delay_cycles has been pushed to gcc trunk (though not
gcc-4_9-branch) so when I finish some other projects I'll be coming
back and checking out the latest versions of everything.  newlib-nano
does work, though I'm still unhappy with the vendor-specific and
undocumented sys interface, and may fork an alternative.  C++ is
viable but using C++ runtime features is probably not practical due to
code size.

Once I've switched to using msp430-elf-gcc all pretense that mspgcc is
supported will vanish.  Unofficially, that's already occurred.

Peter