> Wait, a write() syscall made in the msp430 binary can show up on stdout of
> the simulator?  How does that work?  Do I need to link in any special
> function for that?

The RH simulator (msp430-elf-run, not msp430-run) supports TI's "CIO"
interface, at least for write(), which means the RH simulator can
write to stdout (we use it for testing).  CIO supports a range of file
I/O operations, but we only implemented write().

The code in libgloss (part of newlib) has an implementation of CIO
and write() that works with the simulator.

> I don't know what a "vpu" is, so I am spared from confusion...

I dodn't know either, but it was an unused command line option so I
used it :-)