> I'd already outlined my expectations in the earlier thread; see for
> example
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mspgcc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12038.html.
>  If the msp430 version supplies a weak definition of _write() (not
> write())

newlib uses either write() or _write() depending on which the
underlying libraries provide.  There's no difference between then as
far as which you provide.  If you'd like to propose changing which of
the two newlib looks for by default, I'm OK with that.  There's no
standard there, and newlib doesn't provide a write() that calls
_write_r() regardless.

> that goes through CIO, we're good because I can replace it

*If* you link in libgloss (you don't have to), *and* you don't provide
a copy of write(), *then* a copy that uses CIO is linked in via
-lgloss.  So go ahead and replace it.

> with one that delegates to a descriptor-specific implementation.  If
> the definitions aren't weak, we're probably not good.

It's in a library, one per object.  If you provide your own, the
linker won't link in the libgloss version.  It doesn't need to be
weak.

> I'll hold off on further comment until I have an opportunity to see
> what actually needs to be done to make this work.  I expect something
> that allows me to do for the msp430 what I did for ARM as described
> at: http://pabigot.github.io/bspacm/newlib.html#newlib_sys

You can do that with the RH newlib as long as you don't link in
libgloss's versions of the low-level routines - i.e. remove -lgloss
from your link line and add -lbspacm.