On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM, DJ Delorie <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > Will TI be providing sufficient documentation on the CIO API that the
> > msp430 implementation can be completed, thus making the system
> > interface usable in other frameworks?
>
> I have enough information to finish the msp interface, I've just had
> no reason to do so so far.  CIO doesn't have exit() though so the RH
> simulator *also* has its own syscall interface, just for that call.
> If you just want to "exit cleanly" a branch-to-self opcode will also
> trigger an exit(0) from the RH simulator.

If I could read() as well as write() then I could implement the entire
simulation as a Unix-style filter.  This would be really nice for
development of signal processing algorithms for example, where you want to
process a large corpus of sampled data through the simulator.

> > I personally would wish that newlib prefer APIs that are not
> > proprietary.  My intent for my own msp430-elf projects is to implement
> > a msp430 libgloss approach that's much closer to what was done in the
> > arm target for libgloss.  If there's a chance that'd be adopted
> > upstream as an alternative to the CIO one, it'd motivate me to make
> > that a priority.
>
> CIO was used at TI's request, to be compatible with their simulators
> and their hardware drivers - I.e. a CIO library in your app would work
> in the simulator *and* on real hardware - I think this works with
> msp430-elf-gdb also.

Is this documented?  How can I write drivers to this standard?

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail